Courtyard Cottage, Lamberhurst
In 1733 William Morland bought Court Lodge and it has been occupied by the Morland family ever since. It is believed that the house was built in 1630 and that there has been a Manor house on this site going back to the time of the Domesday Book.
Nestling behind the magnificent Georgian house is Courtyard Cottage - once the brewery to the big house and now a comfortable holiday home. Courtyard Cottage has been restored by Heather and Ian Dyke, who have returned home from New Zealand to try and save her family home.
Courtyard Cottage is spacious and comfortable, sleeping two, is set in six acres which include a rose garden that was once a tennis court, a walled garden that once provided much of the food for the household, and many other lovely areas and walks. Hidden away is an atmospheric sunken garden that it is believed was a Fernery, originally designed by the famous Victorian garden designer, James Pulham in the 1860s. You can follow Heather Dyke's blog as they forge ahead with their plans for weddings and educational and garden visits and the restoration of the grounds.