Kentish Asparagus in a Citrus Dressing
The season for asparagus is here once again and Kent grows some of the best in the country. To get those taste buds working, why not try this delicious recipe.
Ingredients Serves 4
- 8 x spears of fresh asparagus per person
- Handful of mixed salad leaves
- 50g caster sugar
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Lemon zest
- 1 star anise
- 1 stick lemongrass finely chopped
- 15ml olive oil
- Boil together sugar and 5cl water. Once dissolved add the lemon juice and zest, star anise and lemongrass, simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and leave to infuse for 2 hours.
- Strain and whisk in the oil and season to taste.
- To prepare the asparagus:
- Hold the bottom of the asparagus spear in one held between thumb and index finger, and with the other hand holding in the same way from the bottom of the spear slowly slide up the spear pushing outwards. The asparagus will snap at the point that it becomes tender. Discard the root end of the spear, ensuring no waste and stringy bits!
- Plunge the asparagus into boiling water and cook until just tender, it should still be bright green. Drain and chill immediately in ice-cold water. Arrange on the plate with your salad leaves and dress with the citrus dressing.
- Sit back and enjoy with a bottle of chilled wine.